Sunday 13 September 2009

"As a man sows so let him reap."

Last night I recieved a text from a very good friend of mine. It read: "Am I the only one who wonders whether you'll ever get the feeling of butterflies in your stomach with a new boy? I haven't felt it in so long and honestly I miss it."

In response I assured her that she was not the only one. In fact, my dad had only hours previously told me that I would never meet anyone to rival my ex because I was in love with him. Now I do believe I never said those three little words, even admitted them to myself let alone to anyone else.

Today, for probably the thousandth time, I sat down to read The Importance of Being Earnest. Oscar Wilde writes:

Cecily: I wish Uncle Jack would allow that unfortunate young man, his brother, to come down here sometimes. We might have a good influence over him, Miss Prism. I am sure you certainly would. You know German, and geology, and things of that kind influence a man very much.

Miss Prism: I do not think that even I could produce any effect on a character that according to his own brother's admission is irretreivably weak and vacillating. Indeed I am not sure I would desire to reclaim him. I am not in favour of this modern mania for turning bad people into good people in a moment's notice. As a man sows so let him reap.

With this post I wish to remind my dear friend that butterflies are not always what they are cracked up to be. For in my experience they inevitably are replaced with other feelings along the way...not all of which are good. I recall the ending of her last relationship, and indeed mine, as a prime example of why she should not rush into anything else. As many people in this day and age do she dealt with issues of her own, whilst attempting to nurse those of her partner. I believe the best way forward is to embrace such a challenging time, to be on your own and to enjoy it. For I am not in favour of this modern mania for turning emotionally challenged modern men into open and affectionate characters. We are, after all, only 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment