Sunday 11 October 2009

Christmas?! Let's not forget Halloween!

Today an Airwick advert told me it's never too early to think about Christmas and that I should buy their new mulled wine fragrance to get in the mood.  NO!  It was barely September when I first heard mention of Christmas and I don't want to be a grouch but six weeks prior is surely as much time as people need?!  Especially when, in my few, Halloween is a perfectly good holiday that doesn't get noticed at all because of when it is!

We make time for silly days like Mothers and Fathers Day, which as far as I'm concerned have no meaning.  I'm pretty sure parents would be happier if they were appreciated because they actually were appreciated, rather than because Hallmark says so.  Halloween on the other hand has true meaning.  All Hallows Eve originated fromt he Celts who celebrated 'Samhain', when it was believed that ghosts of the dead returned to earth.  Druids (celtic priests) believed their presence made it easier to predict the future and so this was a tradition.

Nowadays we obviously treat it differently, in fact in the UK it's a pretty none holiday.  Until I went to university...if you go out on Halloween not dressed up then you were odd.  I love it.  Always have.  The whole concept, not just dressing up, but I do love to get in disguise and get the chance to be slightly more extrovert than normal.  I scour vintage shops and ebay to make my own costumes rather than buying them and the last two years were my favourite costumes.

My White Rabbit (from Alice in Wonderland) and ringmaster costumes



Needless to say, I was rather upset when I found out that none of my friends at home have made plans and if they have they're running away to stay with uni friends.  Boo!  I am currently attempting to find something to do but I would like to wear my vintage white gloves (again...they are now a staple) and maybe a mask.  I'm thinking an old fashioned style dress but short....masquerade for the new age.  I've got some inspiration from films...



...what do you think?  For now I'll relive some old Halloween's and dream of the day I have the money to put on a proper masquerade ball.


No comments:

Post a Comment