Monday 23 November 2009

Denise Boomkens: Escape to a cartoon world

In an effort to escape the gloom of winter I turned to photography and in doing so Denise Boomkens managed to make me smile.

I first encountered her 'Donald' work, where Donald Duck participates in a 1950's beach spread.  Based in Amsterdam Boomkens focuses entirely on fashion and beauty photography, all of which seems to have a comical aspect to it.  And by comical I don't mean humorous, although it is light hearted most of the time, I mean it uses/takes inspiration from cartoons/cartool style art.  Pop art for instance.

The bold, bright styling and use of colour and location couldn't fail to make me smile.  Until I looked out of the window at the blackness that has completely taken over.  She's had clients from many different magazines so clearly I'm not the only one she pleases.


No comments:

Post a Comment