Monday 7 February 2011

Devlin at Lancaster Library

I'm working as a creative consultant to review and suggest developments for Get it Loud in Libraries, which pushes back the books in Lancashire libraries and fills them with amazing bands and musicians. So far they've featured Professor Green, Adele, Florence and the Machine, Smoke Fairies, Missing Andy, Katy B and many more.

Last night was my first library gig... I was put on the guest list to see Devlin. I'll listen to a lot, I'll move to anything with a good beat (but won't look good doing it) but it's rare I'd go to see Drum and Bass live. Despite a sore throat he acted as if he was in the biggest venue in the world not a little library in Lancaster. Plus, it turns out I know a lot more of Devlin's music than I realised and even found myself singing along to Runaway.



He constantly made reference to the venue and remarked "Drum and bass in a library...it should be illegal." Whether or not this is because he find it genuinely liked the venue is a different matter. When Ellie Goulding played Lancaster library she was caught backstage moaning about it being weird and I suppose it is... good weird in my opinion.

Devlin, Lancaster Library, 6 February 2011

Get it Loud in Libraries is a great way to get people involved and see the potential in libraries as fountains of knowledge and entertainment. This is particularly important as libraries across the UK face closure. 5th February was Save Our Libraries day but rather than one off support something like this gives libraries an additional use all year round. If you live in Lancashire get involved...and if you don't suggest it to your local councils. My job now is to see what people attending really think of it and how to make it better for everyone. The next gig I plan to attend is Mona on the 19th Feb so if you plan on going let me know and come and say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment